How to Apply for a Marriage License

To apply for a marriage license, at least one of the parties to be married must be a resident of this county or if they are non-residents of the State of Ohio, must be married in Hancock County.

People at least 18 years old may apply for a marriage license. (If either party is under the age of 18 years, please contact the probate office for further information.) Proof of age, such as a state issued ID, is required

To apply for a marriage license, both parties to be married will need to be present at the same time in the probate court located at 308 Dorney Plaza in Findlay, Ohio. Our court is located directly west of the Hancock County Court House. If applying online, both parties to be married must go to the Court to complete the online application process. Each party will be required to present a US Government issued photo ID (i.e. Driver's License, Sate ID, Visa, etc.) or certified copy of a birth certificate with additional photo ID.

Consent of the parents, surviving parent, legal guardian or legal custodian of a minor is required. A written statement from a minister or a mental health counselor that the minors have received counseling must be filed at the time of the marriage application.

If an applicant has been divorced or received a dissolution or annulment, that applicant must provide proof to the court by a certified copy of the journal entry granting the divorce, dissolution or annulment. The court does not require a certified copy of the death certificate of a spouse of an applicant.

The license may be issued the same date as the application is made if the court is satisfied that the applicants have met all legal requirements. Once the license is issued, you will need to be married within 60 days, or the license is no longer valid.

You may apply in person for a marriage license Monday through Friday, except for legal holidays, from 8:30 A.M. to 4:30 P.M. You can apply online any time, but, in order to complete the online application process, both parties to be married must go to the Court, between the hours listed above, with any additional required materials mentioned in these instructions. The fee to be paid the day of the application is $43.00, cash or check.